The Scientific Attaché (AS) for Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein is Luca Valenziano, based at the Consulate General of Italy in Zurich, with responsibility for bilateral relations between Italy and the entire Swiss Confederation.
The AS is primarily concerned with the promotion of scientific issues arising from the work of the Mixed Commission (CM) for the implementation of the Agreement on Scientific Cooperation between Italy and Switzerland.
The main activities carried out by the AS include
- Relations with Swiss institutions at federal level: SEFRI (State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation), SNSF (Swiss National Science Foundation), SSO (Swiss Space Office), Swissuniversities.
- Relations with federal polytechnics and cantonal universities: establish organic collaborative relations in order to promote interchange with Italian universities.
- Relations with the Italian research community in Switzerland: to establish a stable relationship with the large Italian community in Switzerland, and to promote the Innovitalia platform.
- Integrated Promotion and Country System Actions: promoting Italian high-tech contexts in Switzerland, bringing Italian players into contact with Swiss research centres, companies, accelerators and incubators and institutions. The AS carries out these activities both independently and in cooperation with the CCIS and the ICE/ITA office.
- Organising events aimed both at stimulating scientific collaboration in the academic environment and at increasing awareness of Italian research among the general Swiss public, mainly Italian-speaking, and stakeholders.